COAST LIFE: APPRECIATING LIFE ON, IN & NEAR THE WATER
The inaugral Coast Life event in 2019 focused on water protection and marine conservation as well as celebrating life in a coastal region.
Featuring live music, performance poetry, live art, keynote talks, market stalls, raffles, Aboriginal smoking ceremony, giants games food & bev, floral installations, it was a successful and spirited day for whole community.
COMMUNITY BENEFITS & OUTCOMES
- Contributed over $20,000 to the local economy by way of engaging suppliers from a vast array of industries.
- Created exposure and paid opportunities for local creatives including musicians, artists, photographers, florists, comedians, and poets.
- Provided empowering education on how to better protect our waters.
- Access to Aboriginal culture for the non-Indigenous attending audience.
- Engaged the local community with its surf life saving club – many for the first time.
- Social media engagement for the event period exceeded 130,000.
- Many people have anecdotally reported a new state of ‘inspiration’ and ‘enlightenment’ as a result of the education component of the event facilitated by educators, surfers, and conservationists on how to better protect our local waters as a community.
- We have strong interest from the community to make this a regular event – it has the potential to grow into a larger, annual festival.